Prophecy is history in advance. It’s a powerful reason we can be confident the Bible is true.
Of all the Old Testament prophecies foretelling Christ’s birth, Isaiah best provides the reasons for His coming.
Isaiah tells us about the long-awaited, soon-coming Messiah…
1. He will bring light, life,and deliverance. (vv.1-5)
1But there will be no gloom for her who was in anguish. In the former time he brought into contempt the land of Zebulun and the land of Naphtali, but in the latter time he has made glorious the way of the sea, the land beyond the Jordan, Galilee of the nations.
2The people who walked in darkness
have seen a great light;
those who dwelt in a land of deep darkness,
on them has lightshone.
3You have multiplied the nation;you have increased its joy; they rejoice before you as with joy at the harvest,as they are glad when they divide the spoil.
4For the yoke of his burden,
and the staff for his shoulder,
the rod of his oppressor,
you have broken as on the day of Midian.
5For every boot of the tramping warrior in battle tumult
and every garment rolled in blood
will be burned as fuel for the fire.
6 For to us a child is born,
to us a son is given;
2. He will be a human, Jewish male. (v.6)
and the government shall be upon his shoulder,
3. His reign will be definitive and total (v.6)
4. He will have a divine nature. (v.6—Wonderful Counselor)
and his name shall be called
5. He will do divine works. (v.6—Mighty God)
6. He will rule with loving care.(v.6—Everlasting Father)
Prince of Peace.
7. He will be the rightful heir. (v.6—Prince…)
8. He will bring about righteous reconciliation. (v.6—…of Peace)
9. His reign will be forever. (v.7)
Of the increase of his government and of peace
there will be no end,
on the throne of David and over his kingdom,
to establish it and to uphold it
with justice and with righteousness
from this time forth and forevermore.
The zealof the Lord of hosts will do this.
9. His coming will happen because of God’s faithfulness. (v.7)
Because we can trust in the “what” of prophecy, we can trust in the “why.”